Do One Thing: Recycle clothes and shoes to USAgain |
Fri December 5, 2014
Read the original story on onlineathens.com
With the change of the seasons comes a change in our clothing wardrobe.
It’s out with the old and in with the new, but where does all your old clothing and shoes go?
According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, about 85 percent of all recyclable textiles end-up in landfills every year, where it occupies roughly 4 percent of the entire landfill space.
Rather than tossing your unwanted clothes and shoes, drop them off at one of the many USAgain bins located throughout the Athens area.
USAgain, a green for-profit enterprise, works diligently to reduce the textile waste in the U.S., which helps preserve natural resources, save landfill space and prevent greenhouse gas emissions.
Approximately 60 percent of the items received in a USAgain bin are resold at thrift stores. The remaining 40 percent are recycled and made into new products and textiles.
To donate your unwanted clothes and shoes, drop them off at one of the USAgain locations below:
• ACC Landfill, 5700 Lexington Road
• ACC Recycling Facility, 699 Hancock Industrial Way
• College Avenue recycling drop-off, 1005 College Ave.
• Georgia Square Mall recycling drop-off, 3700 Atlanta Hwy. (Cinema lot)
• Lexington Road recycling drop-off, located on Jail Road behind the Tag Office
• Power Partners Inc., 200 Newton Bridge Rd.
• Winterville recycling drop-off, located on the corner of Church and Parkview Streets
For more information about USAgain, visit www.usagain.com.